I am currently associate professor at Jussieu's University (UPMC) in the project-team
POLSYS which is common between and INRIA Paris.
My research area is at the intersection of cryptography and symbolic computation. I am mainly interested by evaluating the security of cryptographic primitives
by means of algebraic methods. The idea is to model a cryptographic primitive as a system of algebraic equations.
This general approach is called algebraic cryptanalysis.
Once this modeling is done, the problem is then to solve an algebraic system. Gröbner bases is a classical
technic to do so. In POLSYS, we have applied this approach to evaluate the hardness of various problems underlying the security of most quantum-resistant algorithms
: multivariate schemes, code-based as well as lattice-based schemes. It apperas that algebraic cryptanalysis an important tool for evaluating the security
of quantum-resistant algorithms.
I am also involved and motivated by industrial transfert. I am external scientific advisor for Kryptnostic, member of the CSA quantum-safe
security working group and member of the quantum-safe cryptography specification group of the European Telecommunications
Standards Institute (ETSI).
- CiE 2016: Pursuit of the Universal, June 27th 2016 - July 1st 2016, Paris, France
- Post-Quantum Cryptography Conference (PQC'16), February, 22 - 26, 2016, Fukuoka - Japan
- "Preliminary Plan for the Standardization of Quantum-Resistant Algorithms'', public announcement of NIST at PQC16
- Post-Quantum rush officially started
- NIST Workshop on Cybersecurity in a Post-Quantum World, April 2 - 3, 2015, Maryland, USA
- COST Action Cryptanalysis of Ubiquitous Computing Systems (CRYPTACUS)
- COST Action Cryptography for Secure Digital Interaction
Recent Selected Talks
- "Gröbner Bases Techniques in Post-Quantum Cryptography", Winter School of PQC'16, February, 22 - 23, 2016, Fukuoka, Japan
- "Algebraic Algorithms for LWE", The Mathematics of Modern Cryptography, Jul. 6 - Jul. 10, 2015, Simons Institue, Berkeley, USA
- "Gröbner Bases Techniques in Post-Quantum Cryptography", NIST Workshop on Cybersecurity in a Post-Quantum World, April 2 - 3, 2015, Maryland, USA
The full list of publications is here and my CV is here.
- J.-C. Faugère, A. Otmani, L. Perret, F. De Portzamparc, and J.-P. Tillich,
“Structural Cryptanalysis of McEliece Schemes with Compact Keys”.
- J.-C. Faugère, V. Gauthier-Umana, A. Otmani, L. Perret, and Jean-Pierre
Tillich,“ A Distinguisher for High Rate McEliece Cryptosystems”.
IEEE IT, 2013.
- L. Bettale, J.-C. Faugère and L. Perret,
“Cryptanalysis of HFE, Multi-HFE and Variants for Odd and Even Characteristic”.
Des. Codes Cryptography, 2013.
- J.-C. Faugère, A. Otmani, L. Perret and J.-P. Tillich,
“Algebraic Cryptanalysis of McEliece Variants with Compact Keys”.
- J.-C. Faugère, J. von zur Gathen and L. Perret, “Decomposition of Generic Multivariate Polynomials”.
- L. Bettale, J.-C. Faugère and L. Perret, “Hybrid Approach for Solving Multivariate Systems over Finite Fields”. Journal of Mathematical Cryptology, 2010.
- J.-C. Faugère, F. Levy-dit-Vehel and L. Perret,
“Cryptanalysis of Minrank”. CRYPTO 2008.
- M. Sugita, M. Kawazoe, L. Perret and H. Imai, “Algebraic Cryptanalysis of 58-Round SHA-1”.
- J.-C. Faugère and L. Perret,
“ Cryptanalysis of 2R- Schemes”. CRYPTO 2006.
- J.-C. Faugère and L. Perret, “Polynomial Equivalence Problems: Algorithmic and Theoretical
Aspects”. Eurocrypt 2006.
- L. Perret, “A Fast Cryptanalysis of the Isomorphism of Polynomials with One Secret Problem”.
- ISSAC 2016, 41th International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, July 20-22 2016.
- PASCO 2015, 7th International Workshop on Parallel Symbolic Computation, University of Bath, UK, July 10-12,2015
- EuroCrypt 14, 33rd Annual International Conference on the Theory and Applications of Cryptographic Techniques, 11 - 15 May 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Inscrypt 2013, 9th China International Conference on Information Security and Cryptology, Nov. 27 - Nov. 30, 2013, Guangzhou, China
- PKC 2013, 16th International Conference on Practice and Theory in Public-Key Cryptography, February 26 - March 1, Nara, Japan
- SCC 2012, 3nd International Conference on Symbolic Computation and Cryptography, 11 - 13 July 2012,
Castro Urdiales, Spain
- YACC 2010, Yet Another Conference on Cryptography, 4 - 8 October, 2010,
Porquerolles Island, France
- TOOLS 2010, Workshop on Tools for Cryptanalysis 2010, 22 - 23 June 2010,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, (UK)
- SCC 2010, 2nd International Conference on Symbolic Computation and Cryptography, 23-25 June 2010,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, (UK)
- Inscrypt 2010, 6th China International Conference on Information Security and Cryptology, 20-24 October 2010, Shanghai, China
- Inscrypt 2008, 4th China International Conference on Information Security and Cryptology, 14-17 December 2010, Beijing, China
- SCC 2008, First International Conference on Symbolic Computation and Cryptography,
28-30 April 2008, Beijing, China
- Editorial Board, Designs, Codes and Cryptography
- Guest Editor, Journal of Symbolic Computation, special issue "Mathematical and Computer Algebra Techniques in Cryptology"
- Guest Editor, Mathematics in Computer Science, special issue
``Symbolic Computation and Cryptography"
- Guest Editor, Journal of Symbolic Computation, special issue
``Gröbner Bases Techniques in Cryptography and Coding Theory"
- Guest Editor, RISC book series (Springer, Heidelberg), ``Gröbner Bases, Coding, and Cryptography''
- ACA 2015 Special Session "Polynomial System Solving, Gröbner Basis and Applications'', July 20 - 23, 2015, Kalamata - Greece
- Summer School on Tools,
Mykonos, Greece, 28 May - 1 June, 2012
- National Days in Coding and Cryptography (C2), Fréjus, France,
- Sage Days 10, Nancy, France, October 2008
- Summer School on ``Emerging Topics in Cryptographic Design and Analysis" ,
Samos, Greece, 30 Avr - 4 May, 2007
- Gröbner Bases in Cryptography, Coding Theory, and
Algebraic Combinatorics , Linz, Austria, 1 - 6 May, 2006